- 1 How many days do we fast for Navratri?
- 2 How do you keep Durga Maa fast?
- 3 How many times you can eat in Navratri fast?
- 4 What should we eat in Durga Puja fast?
- 5 Is coffee allowed in Navratri fast?
- 6 Can we drink coffee in fast?
- 7 How do you do a Friday fast?
- 8 What should we not eat during Navratri?
- 9 Can we drink tea in Navratri fast?
- 10 Can we drink milk in Navratri fast?
- 11 Can I eat dairy milk chocolate in Navratri fast?
- 12 Can we sleep during Navratri fasting?
- 13 What to eat on fasting days?
- 14 What can I eat during fast?
- 15 What can I eat fast without salt?
Fasting: Many devotees keep fast on all nine days.
How do you keep Durga Maa fast?
Follow the vidhi mentioned below:
- Do Sankalpa after taking a bath.
- Do Meditation.
- Invoke Maa Durga, and seek her blessings so that you succeed in keeping the vrat.
- Light an oil lamp and keep it ignited throughout the day.
While the festival comes every autumn, it also commemorates Lord Rama’s victory of killing Ravana. Northern part of India participates in this festival. People fast for nine days and refrain from eating daily food items like rice and Indian bread.
What should we eat in Durga Puja fast?
DO’s – Foods to be consumed during Navratri – It includes Baadam (Almonds), Kaaju (Cashews), Mungfali (Peanuts), Akhrot (Walnuts), Magaj ke Beej (Melon seeds), Chilgoza (Pine Nuts), Kishmish (Raisins), Pista (Pistachio). Oils – Ghee, Vegetable Oil & Peanut Oil are commonly used oils.
Shalini Nandwani, a Delhi resident who has been keeping the Navratri fasts since 20 years says, “In our family, coffee and tea are both allowed during Navratri fasting, as well as other beverages like chaas and fresh fruit juices. Packaged or processed beverages are usually avoided.”
Can we drink coffee in fast?
As for having coffee or tea during your fast — you should be just fine. As a general rule of thumb, if you drink something with less than 50 calories, then your body will remain in the fasted state. So, your coffee with a splash of milk or cream is just fine. Tea should be no problem either.
How do you do a Friday fast?
This fast is initiated by getting up early on Fridays, bathing and performing morning prayers. Remember that you should not gossip or lie during the day and be on your best behaviour to attract positivity. Also, it is important to limit your diet to fruits and milk.
Devotees who are keeping Navratri fasts should also avoid consuming legumes, lentils, rice flour, cornflour, all purpose flour, whole wheat flour and semolina (rava). Non-vegetarian food, eggs, alcohol, smoking and aerated drinks are also a strict no – no.
Read on to know what and what not to consume Navratri 2020 fast. Early Breakfast: You should start your day with green tea, almonds and dates in the morning. This will keep you active and fresh. You can also take a glass of warm milk if you want to avoid green tea.
Spices are restricted to red chilies, turmeric and cumin seeds and only rock salt is used. However, one can drink milk and eat curds, fruits and nuts. Navratras is the time to eat a variety of healthy foods. Ideal fasting diet should contain a balance of proteins, fats, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals.
2. Dairy products: Dairy products like milk, paneer, cheese, yoghurt, butter, malai, cream can be consumed.
If Vishnu Purana is to be believed, one should avoid sleeping during the afternoon during Navratri. It is said that all the “good karma” attained from the fast goes null and void if you sleep during the day.
What to eat on fasting days?
The Fast Diet encourages you to eat lean protein, vegetables, and fruit on fasting days, usually as two small meals plus a few snacks. A typical 500-calorie fasting day might include oatmeal with fresh blueberries for breakfast, a tangerine for a snack, and a chicken and vegetable stir-fry for dinner.
What can I eat during fast?
Foods you can eat while fasting
- Water. Plain or carbonated water contains no calories and will keep you hydrated during a fast.
- Coffee and tea. These should mostly be consumed without added sugar, milk, or cream.
- Diluted apple cider vinegar.
- Healthy fats.
- Bone broth.
What can I eat fast without salt?
Many people observe sawan somwar fasts and solah somwar fasts, wherein the devotee is allowed to eat only fruits, milk and one meal a day, which is prepared without salt.